Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Google Chrome Will Not Play Music

Is the silence of Google Chrome driving you nuts?

I am running Windows 7 32bit on a Laptop and Windows 7 64bit on a PC. Something is really odd about the way Google's installer chooses the destination folder. For example, on my PC running 64bit Chrome is installed in a new Google folder in my C: drive Programs Folder (x86). This is the usual place for almost all programs. On my Laptop running 32bit Chrome is installed in the C:\Users\name\AppData\Local\Google folder.

The other odd things is, Chrome on my PC plays background sound on websites and sound on YouTube. My Laptop plays no sound in the Chrome browser. I even copied the folder from my PC onto a memory stick and plugged it into the laptop.

For a while when I clicked the exe file on the memory stick Chrome opened and played music on site and video sound. The folder was also copied onto the Laptop desktop and clicking the exe file there also opened Chrome and it played all sounds.


After 10 minutes, however, Chrome would not open any more. Even copying the folder into the Program Folder did not work.

Your only option is to install portable Chrome and update it manually. It is exactly the same as the "fixed" version and you can even sign in and get your bookmarks installed.

Get Google Chrome Portable from here.

For the direct download click here.


Portable Chrome will play all sound from the word GO.


The exe launcher file for Portable Chrome is in the Download folder where you put the initial download. Leave it there and drag a shortcut to where you want, or mover the whole portable folder to your Programs Files folder and drag a shortcut from there.